Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Agent's of Shield Sucks!

Agent's of Shield Sucks! 

Related:
Marvels Agent of Shield speculation HUB
Agents of Shield growing Rogue gallery
Will the Overkill Mind be a villain in Agents of Shield?
Will Ward become Wonderman? 
Who is Mantis? 


Watch out, give me some space and prepare for some serious HATE......Agents of Shield Sucks!!!! The actors can't act, the writers can't write, the special effects are......what special effects? and to top it all off there are no super heroes and it is suppose to be a Marvel show?  It sucks.  O yeah and they include comedy in the shows, and lightheartedness, why can't they take this stuff seriously.

Hulk mad like Nerds
Serious, serious adult discussion time.  I really enjoy this show, I look forward to it every week.  Could it be better,...yes.  Is there room for improvement...yes.  Does this justify the insane level hate directed at it week to week...No way.  To a degree I even foresaw this conflict coming when I first heard about the show.  Marvel is going to put its stamp on a show that has no major comic characters after the huge titanic movie that was the Avengers?  It seemed like bad timing.  In all my years of comic fandom I don't know if I have ever purchased a single Shield comic.  I do like some of the art from the old Nick Fury comics drawn by Jim Steranko, but sadly that is about it.  People's expectations are going to be at an all time high and you are going to give them ordinary people?  That said, I was also excited to see a weekly tv show in the Marvel Universe.  That alone is enough to at least get me interested.

My expectations for the Show

When I started watching the show, I had already adjusted my expectations.  I was not expecting to see super heroes, I was expecting to see fairly regular humans fighting the small fights, in the shadows of the juggernauts.  My excitement was also tied to the thought of simply uncovering small hints of what Marvel may have in store for us.

My expectations were also based on what I knew of the Whedon's previous shows.  I watched Buffy, I watched Firefly and I enjoyed both shows.  In each show you have a group of lovable characters, filled with flaws, thrust into extraordinary situations with huge, heaping doses of cheesy lighted-hearted banter.  It is a mixture of drama, humor, action, and pure escapism.  The moment I flipped on Agent's of Shield I expected a new cheesy but fun Scooby gang.

Other Peoples Expectation for the Show:

Totally Unrealistic

Because of the difference of expectations I have enjoyed the show quite a lot.  I would say its easily in my top 5 favorite shows I watch each week.  Other people though immediately stopped watching it after a few episodes when they came to the realization that mainstream characters may not show up much, or at all.  Unfortunately, a lot of these people may have missed some of the awesomeness that the show unleashed in the last 6 episodes.

To some the show is not going anywhere.  My counter, it is leading directly from I3 into Captain America 2.  I think its effect on what happens in Cap2 and Avengers 2 will be fairly profound.
More over they have provided a little sandbox for Marvel to subtly begin adding a roster of obscure villains and heroes that may not have otherwise found the light of day.  They have already created a version of Deathlok with an origin story that in my opinion is better than all of his previous incarnations.

The characters of the gang have also matured and grown on me.  I care about them and want to see them survive and hopefully even thrive.  While, other people dislike them because they are not superheroes, I never had this baggage.  I expected and found the Marvel Scooby gang.

What do you think of the show?  Do you think it is getting better or worse?  Why do you think so many people seem to hate the show?

Related:
Marvels Agent of Shield speculation HUB
Agents of Shield growing Rogue gallery
Will the Overkill Mind be a villain in Agents of Shield?
Will Ward become Wonderman? 
Who is Mantis? 
Post a Comment